Re: [Hampshire] [sort-of-OT] Advice for (geeky) broadband pr…

Author: Peter Collins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [sort-of-OT] Advice for (geeky) broadband provider
I wonder if people realise what advertised Fibre really is a lot of the
time. correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it, a good percentage of
the time the Fibre is only from the cabinet in the street:

Virgin's service is fibre based to cabinets, as long as you are a cable
customer, they use DOCSIS for both Broadband and TV services which is a
copper cable from home to the cabinet and then a fibre "backbone".

If you all not a cable customer then you will on Virgins LLU package.

**The 40Mb BT infinity is based on a similar solution although not DOCSIS,
however it is still a "copper" cable going from home to cabinet -
fibre-to-the-cabinet (FFTC).

However around 25% of BT's network will be able to get 100MB connection
which is fibre-to-the-home (FTTH).

I remember reading somewhere that BT will offer a minimum download speed
15Mb on the 40Mb package, whereas Virgin's customers got an average of
around 47.5Mb when on the 50Mb package.

Rgds

Peter.