Re: [Hampshire] [HARDWARE] Dead PC

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [HARDWARE] Dead PC
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 11 at 07:43, Adam John Trickett wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 Jan 2011 19:24:57 Jonathan Hudson wrote:
> > > 1) It would sometimes bring up the BIOS page complaining about changed
> > > settings (that have not changed) on power up.
> >
> > BIOS battery needs replacing ...
>
> A "CR2032" according to the manual. I know that would cause the boot problems,
> could it also cause the hardware freezes?

Typical shelf life of lithium battery 7 years, machine is 6 years old, so a
good bet. BIOS complaints and boot problems definitely. Freezing the system
later, less likely but possible, it might cause problems with the video BIOS
for example.

Four pounds from a hardware store, got to be worth a try.

--
        Bob Dunlop