Re: [Hampshire] Anyone know much about IPv6 tunnels?

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Anyone know much about IPv6 tunnels?
On 19 December 2010 05:14, Jonathan Hudson <jh+hlug@???> wrote:

>> ping6 should definitely work.
>>
>> Have you firewalled it? Don't forget that the tunnel comes through
>> IPv4 so you'll need to allow it through your IPv4 firewall.
>>

> In particular, allow in IP proto-41 (6in4), that had me stumped for a
> while.

I think it is a shame ISPs have not moved to supporting IPv6 without tunnels.
With users PC now doing IPv6 out of the box, users could be switched
to IPv6 without them even noticing.
Just need the Broadband ADSL router to support IPv6 over PPP and
include IPv6 firewall/port forwarding features.

There is one major problem with IPv6. Security assurance of IPv6 is not good.
The IPv6 protocol itself is probably more secure than IPv4, the
problem is buggy implementations.
The Linux implementation of IPv6 needs a lot of "care and attention"
to fix the bugs, and probably only more widespread use of it will
cause those bugs to be found and eliminated.

Kind Regards

James