Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Server and Wordpress

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Server and Wordpress
> On 01/12/10 17:54, Benjie Gillam wrote:
>> Personally, I'd install it straight from Wordpress. I see no advantage
>> to installing it from the Ubuntu repository, and when you later update
>> your Ubuntu to the next LTS I would guess that it's likely to corrupt
>> your Wordpress install with a different version to what you're running,
>> or leave around security vulnerabilities that Wordpress' own updater
>> would have deleted.
>>
>> Keep in mind that you need to update Wordpress very often as there's new
>> security holes found in it very frequently :(
>>
>> Installing?Wordpress?is pretty easy - just follow these
>> instructions:?http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress#Famous_5-Minute_Install
>
> I'd agree with that.  Installing WordPress the Debian/Ubuntu way results
> in configuration files scattered around in the 'standard' places such as
> /etc and /usr/share.  That makes it difficult to then move the site to
> another computer or upload it to a hosting service.
>
> Do it the non-repo way.

I'd advise the repo way too. When I last looked at this choice, the
Debian version seemed to be poorly maintained and it's frequency of
backporting to fix security vulns was not too good. We use the
upstream version.

To help mitigate the upgrade chores I wrote a perl script a while back
to make it easier, it might be of use:
http://opticalgarbage.com/perl/upgrade-wordpress.pl

--
GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65  F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever.” - Indian political and spiritual leader Mahatma Gandhi
(1869-1948)