Re: [Hampshire] [off topic] Unable to submit document to gov…

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [off topic] Unable to submit document to govt dept
On 17/11/10 11:12, john lewis wrote:
> I needed to submit an annual return for the current year to Companies
> House, it is a very "simple" balance sheet for a dormant company.
>
> I eventually got the pdf form completed correctly using acroread on my
> linux system but was unable to submit the document as it came up with a
> Certificate error.
>
> I followed the instructions given, ie:
>
> acroread -installCertificate ewf.companieshouse.gov.uk 443
>
> I checked ~/.adobe/Acrobat/9.0/Cert and it looks like the certificate is
> in there, but am still not able to submit the document from my linux
> system.
>
> I then tried doing it from a windows system and had no problems,
> acrobat reader asked if I want to connect to companies house and once
> I'd said Ok it did whatever was needed.
>
> Is this normal?
>
> I had originally set up the company and submitted all the relevant
> details from my linux system without any problems so it was irritating
> to find that I couldn't submit the first balance sheet the same way.

You can still do paper submission so they are not enforcing webfiling yet :-

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/about/miscellaneous/jointFilingWebFilingFAQs.shtml

I don't have a problem with using their website to do my yearly
submission, but that is not submitting a PDF. They use MailScanner so
could well be Linux! I suggest you email/write to them describing your
problem as they need to know and fix it. Mac users may have the same
problem.

John.
Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk