[Hampshire] E-Readers re-visited

Author: john lewis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] E-Readers re-visited
some weeks back there was a discussion about e-readers and at the time
I hadn't any plans to get one.

I knew I'd not go down the kindle route as I don't like amazons
policies, mainly the fact they don't really let you own the books you
have 'purchased'

I also thought the Sony readers too expansive. I really only wanted
to spend in the region of £50 and there don't seem to be any
second-hand ones around, at least not on-line.

The I stumbled upon one selling for just under £80 on the JohnLewis
website
http://www.johnlewis.com/231015788/Product.aspx?om_i=Ca7fEz&om_u=_BM2AKGB8VjJZqA

I'd not seen any mention of this Sovos reader before and did some
browsing for reviews and it seemed to be OK so ordered one.

I have been using it for several weeks now and am quite pleased with
it. It doesn't have an e-paper screen but I'm happy enough
with the greyish background. Page turning is quite quick enough
although there is an audible click when using the buttons.

I downloaded a bunch of epub format books from various websites and
found there is one problem with that format in that zooming the image
spoils the page formatting. This may be common to all e-book formats
and I can live with it.

A couple if things I probably won't use are the ability to store
jpeg and mp3 files and display/play them. The demo pics included look
good thanks to the colour screen. One of advantage of the screen is
that is is backlit so the reader can be used in bed ;-)

A bonus is that I don't need to purchase a case or mains charger as
they are included. The case is rigid so protects the somewhat delicate
screen.

I used calibre to copy the e-books onto the reader and that seems to
have messed up the original file system and the demo Music and
Photo files are now included in the eBook menu.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid