Re: [Hampshire] Due Diligence of Service Providers

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Due Diligence of Service Providers

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5723c100.hantslug.org.uk.31439': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Nov 9 17:28:56 2010 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Imran,

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 03:20:13PM +0000, Imran Chaudhry wrote:
> The backup service providers are often US-based small businesses who
> outsource functions to other service providers such as Amazon Web
> Services. What is the best way to perform "due diligence" on these
> small companies?

It is rather tricky. Your list is already more than most people
would do, and is a great start. As was already pointed out, beware
data protection issues. Ask about their privacy policies.

Ask if you can get a definitive list of the backend services in use
so that you can avoid shared fate (e.g. you lose an important file
at the same time that Amazon Web Services suffers a global outage,
and you find that all three of your offsite backup providers
actually resell AWS). This might be difficult to get them to commit
to, since they probably want the flexibility to change that behind
the scenes.

In all honesty if my needs were great enough that just spreading my
encrypted data over three or so different storage providers wasn't
enough then I would be tempted to build it myself, using the cloud
storage services directly.

I think there's a Google Summer of Code project to get Tahoe-LAFS to
talk to the likes of Amazon S3. That will be awesome.

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs

Cheers,
Andy

<Eyecon> freecycle is for dating single mothers