Re: [Hampshire] Linux Foundation and Linux Certification Pro…

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux Foundation and Linux Certification Programs
On 23/10/10 15:57, Peter Collins wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Many thanks for the responses.
>
> Just to clarify I already work in sysadmin role for my current employer
> (as well as others) - it is mainly a Microsoft windows based
> infrastructure, however I have introduced Linux over the years in different
> areas, mainly virtualization, web/ftp hosting and systems monitoring which
> I believe can be demonstrated on my CV.

I assumed you were new to Linux and reading the above I still think that!

> I have no formal qualifications other then GCSE's and am trying to weigh
> up if experience alone is enough.

No, it definitely isn't. Hence why I did the RHCE even with 15 years of
Unix experience and SCSA qualified.

> I noticed no one has commented on The Linux Foundation - surely @ $99.00
> p.a. it is a great way to support Linux with benefits to the subscribers as
> well?

As far as I can see, they only do one admin course, performance tuning
and it is US based. They are also well funded, so I don't see it
relevant to join. It does fund Linus's work and I would join if I
thought it needed help!

I think you would enjoy doing the LPI exams. The LPIC-1 study book is
all you need. I've just given mine away.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LPIC-1-Exams-Roderick-W-Smith/dp/0470404833/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287847520&sr=8-1

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk