Re: [Hampshire] Budgetone SIP phones

Author: Jan Henkins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Budgetone SIP phones
Hello Paul,

On Tue, October 12, 2010 14:01, Paul Tansom wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience of the Grandstream Budgetone 200 SIP
> phones?

I had some play-time with the 100 SIP model.

> I've just got one in preparation for a new Asterisk server setup, but for
> some
> reason my testing is not going well. To make sure it works OK I've got it
> connected directly to my SIP provider for now, but when I try to navigate
> phone
> menu systems (that's the press 1 for... ones, not the ones on the actual
> phone
> - it's an nightmare to differentiate that on Google!) my button presses
> are
> being ignored - which is a major pain when calling a support number that
> won't
> take you any further until you've chosen and option, or when you're trying
> access your voicemail!!!

I had similar hassles, until I figured out how to update the phone's
firmware to the latest. Also, I used the phone's web-based configuration
page instead of the cryptic button pressing nightmare, and I managed to
get the phone working with Asterisk as well as SER (Sip Express Router).
Tip regarding this phone: Try and use the iLBC codec if at all possible,
it is excellent, whilst still using very little bandwidth.

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins