Re: [Hampshire] What would you do, faced with the following…

Author: Jan Henkins
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What would you do, faced with the following advice re Ubuntu
Hello Lisi,

On 27/09/10 09:22, WESEMEYER STEPHEN wrote:
> Hm... I guess the LiveCD worked but once you install it falls over?
>
> If your PC is capable of booting from a USB stick, I'd try creating a
> bootable USB stick and run the installer from that. At least that
> would rule out dodgy DVDs/DVD drives.
>
> Also are you using 10.04.1? After all they did release that last month
> and it might have some fixes that you need for your set-up.
>
> Good luck,
> Steve

+1 for this method. My lappy is getting a bit long in the tooth, so it's
built-in DVD drive is a bit cranky. I tried out the USB-stick method for
the first time installing 10.10 beta the past weekend, and it works
really really well. This of course assumes that your machine is capable
of booting via USB in the first place, which thankfully for me worked
fine. Hope it works for you too, it's way better than using CD/DVD or
any such "optical irritations"! :-) And it installs far quicker too,
which was an unexpected bonus.

Solid State rules! :-D

--
Regards,