Re: [Hampshire] What would you do, faced with the following…

Author: Ian Park
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What would you do, faced with the following advice re Ubuntu
On 26/09/10 07:06, Lisi wrote:
> On Saturday 25 September 2010 23:12:23 Vic wrote:
>>> The course is clearly Microsoft biased.
>>
>> Which course is this, anyway?
>>
> T155 an introduction to Linux. The beginning is a very easy ride for me
> (apart from the effect on my blood pressure, but a lot of the later stuff
> should be useful.
>
>>> They also said that we "needed" Shockwave!
>>
>> Sounds like there will be some Flash-based video sessions going on. You
>> almost certainly *don't* need Adobe's player. But that won't stop the
>> ignorati from telling you that you do, of course...
>>
>>> When protesting about Shockwave being "needed" for a course about Linux,
>>> I got through in the end to the manager of the course team. She said to
>>> let her know what I thought of the course, and believe me I shall!
>>
>> Unfortunately, you're almost certainly wasting your time. If they've put
>> together a course with that many errors in the initial brief, it's
>> probably not being run by anyone with an interest in teaching things that
>> are actually correct :-(
>>
>> Bah.
>
> Yes, it is very disappointing. :-(
>
> Lisi
>

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

Hmm, interesting reading the posts in this thread. I too have signed up
for T155, but I haven't bothered yet to look at the course web site,
'cos I'm in China with only my Aspire One (running Ubuntu Lucid, netbook
edition) - at least the hotel offers free internet access. On my main
desktop machine and my "big" laptop, Ubuntu is my main OS, and I use
VirtualBox to run Windows for various ill-behaved sites that need
Internet Exploiter (including the management interface for my wireless
access point, which runs some flavour of Linux!), and other awkward
apps. I shall join Lisi in protesting to the course management team
about Microsoft bias...

Ian
--
Ian Park