Re: [Hampshire] Multimedia System

Author: Russell Morris
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Multimedia System
Xbmc is an excellent media centre, but for a laptop I'd probably just use
Ubuntu/mplayer/rythembox etc.

On 4 Sep 2010, at 10:04, Stephen Nelson-Smith <sanelson@???> wrote:

Hello,

I'm rather out of touch with anything non-server, I'm afraid. I want to set
up a laptop for the children which they'll use mostly for watching DVDs,
listening to music, and browsing the web. I've always just used mplayer and
debian, but i suspect there are friendly shiny new alternatives and maybe
even dedicate distros.

I don't want to spend a lot of time hacking about with it, so something that
bundles needed codecs, and java and flash and so forth would be excellent.

What do you chaps recommend?

S.
--
Stephen Nelson-Smith