Re: [Hampshire] Virgin media: good and bad

Author: Jan Henkins
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Virgin media: good and bad
Hello Vic,

On Tue, July 27, 2010 14:57, Vic wrote:
> Likewise - but I run mine on a PC sat on my home ADSL connection. It's
> really not much bandwidth, nor much processing...

I opted for the VPS route mainly because I was still based in South Africa
at the time, and even now the incumbent telco over there has less than
stellar rates and reliability. The VPS idea worked so well that I sort of
kept at it.

> Achieving better than 99% rejection without significant false-positives
> isn't that difficult - 1% acceptance is still too much for a saleable
> service, but it's OK for my stuff.

Wow, those are good figures! I don't come even close, but then again I
spend about 1 hour per year twiddling with spamassassin. With that amount
of effort you cannot expect much! :-) Still, I get a 90% + rejection,
which I think is great under the circumstances (great result versus effort
ratio, you gotta love FLOSS!).

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins