Re: [Hampshire] Virgin media: good and bad

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Virgin media: good and bad

> Now virgin are "insisting" on a password being entered every time I check
> my
> email once every couple of minutes for 3 accounts - super irritating.
> This
> despite me ticking the "remember password" box. Now before anyone shouts
> that this is an outlook problem, if I change my default gateway to virgin
> -
> the problem goes away. The reason is that virgin's mail settings became
> bit stricter a few weeks back.

No - that *is* an Outlook problem. If it's got the password it should be
able to authenticate to any service that requires that password. But this
wouldn't be the first time I've seen a Windows app caching the wrong
password (Explorer does it with incredible frequency).

> However if anyone does
> know a decent workaround - I'd love to hear

There are a few things you can do.

Firstly, run Wireshark against the connection to see what Outlook is
actually doing. You'll undoubtedly see the challenges, and the wrong
password being supplied. Fixing that will require some investigation -
your Wireshark trace will guide that.

Next up, try removing Outlook. I generally use Thunderbird for Windows users.

You should also try running fetchmail against your Virgin account into
your local MTA - that will give you much better mail availabilty.

Vic.