Re: [Hampshire] Virgin media: good and bad

Author: Dee Earley
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Virgin media: good and bad
On 26/07/2010 19:08, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
> I have two routers – one on virgin cablemodem, one on Zen ADSL. Prior to
> today, I was permanently using the ADSL router but this prohibited
> sending virgin mail as I “wasn’t connected to their network”. Fair
> enough – virgin is my old email so I wouldn’t send anything from it but
> would receive (slashdot, netbeans and other mailing lists – not hantslug
> I hasten to add). My client (Outlook in this case) would pick up email
> every couple of minutes.
>
> Now virgin are “insisting” on a password being entered every time I
> check my email once every couple of minutes for 3 accounts – super
> irritating. This despite me ticking the “remember password” box. Now
> before anyone shouts that this is an outlook problem, if I change my
> default gateway to virgin – the problem goes away. The reason is that
> virgin’s mail settings became a bit stricter a few weeks back.

I second Wayne's suggestion for a static route (we do similar at work
for Google adwords that only works over one of our lines)

As for the password box, the client would only normally prompt you to
enter if the server explicitly said login failed.
If you fancy digging, you can use etherreal or similar to try and catch
it or see of the mail client has a debug log mode.

--
Dee Earley (dee@???)

irc:    irc://irc.blitzed.org/
web:    http://www.earlsoft.co.uk