Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Letter to investors

Author: Chris Aitken
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Letter to investors
On 22 July 2010 14:02, Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:

> On 22/07/10 13:26, Damian Brasher wrote:
>
>> We are a small company that has designed and built an Open Source
>> long-term archive system for education, currently in beta2. DIASER -
>> Distributed Internet Archive System for Educational Repositories. To
>> continue we need further investment sponsorship. Somewhere in the region
>> of UKP 30-100K. Interlinux Ltd collaborated with the University of
>> Southampton during the alpha-dev phase.
>>

> Hi Damian,
>
> First up, I know little or nothing about investment!
>
> However, it occurred to me that asking for between 30-100K sends a message
> that you don't really know how much you need, i.e. there is no hard and fast
> business plan. Surely it would be better to ascertain more precisely how
> much is needed to get you where you want to be and then ask for it, rather
> than ask an amount that might convey to potential investors that you are a
> little vague on this?
>
> Sean

What Sean said.
Ask yourself the following questions:
1. Where are we now ?
2. Where do we want to be in X days/months/years?
3. How are we going to get there?

Then develop (3) into some form of plan using your favourite planning method
(Gantt/WBS/PERT/Network Diagram). Add in the numbers, Voila!

Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.