Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Conference Audio Recording

Author: Simon Reap
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Conference Audio Recording
Philip Stubbs wrote:
> I have been asked to make some audio recordings of a conference. The
> last one I did, I used a cheap Sansa MP3 player that will record the
> FM radio that the audio was transmitted on.
>
> The next one will not be transmitted via FM, so I am looking at how
> best to do it. My first thought is something like a Zoom H2
> http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/
> If the facility also has an induction loop, I could probably connect
> one of these
> http://www.inta-audio.com/pa-live-sound-c88/induction-loop-systems-c243/adastra-adastra-induction-loop-receiver-with-belt-clip-p3066

I've used an H2 for a few years now - very high quality, trivial to
use. The built-in microphones are directional (one pair picks up from
the front of the device, another pair set at a wider angle the rear), so
if you can place it between the audience and the speakers, it should get
more of the latter. If you use all four at once you can get surround
sound! It also supports external microphones, but if you are going to
use those, you coudl just record to a laptop and Audacity. I use it
mostly to record a Rhythm and Blues band, and a church choir, but it
does clearly pick up the spoken parts of both sorts of event. The sound
is a little bass-heavy (I've tried two H2s of different vintages and
both show this), so if you can apply a little equalisation afterwards,
that would help.

I'd not heard of the H1 before, but come September I might be tempted
(though the microphones do look a little exposed compared with the H2).

Simon