Re: [Hampshire] Lucid network manager

Author: Jan Henkins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Lucid network manager
Hello Rob,

On 03/07/10 19:24, Rob Malpass wrote:
> The reason I need to fiddle is the internet connection I'm using is,
> for some reason, painfully slow at the moment so my first thought was
> to run everything through my ADSL router to see if it was a cable
> problem. To do so, I need to change my gateway -- but I can't get at
> it and don't really want to faff around with /etc/network/interfaces etc.
>
> I must have missed something obvious but I can' t see what.

I'm sorry if I cannot help you with the actual problem, but if you need
to change your default gateway setting temporarily, you can do so
quickly and non-destructively from the commandline. First check your
routing table in a console:

$ sudo route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     2      0        0
wlan0
169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     1000   0        0
wlan0
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
wlan0

In this case my default gateway is 192.168.1.1. Yours might differ, keep
a note of what it is. Delete it with:

$ sudo route del default gw

Add a new temporary one (this does not survive a reboot, so it's a safe
thing to do):

$ sudo route add default gw your.ip.address.here

Viola! You can do your tests now. You can change your default gateway
back by doing the above and substituting with your old gateway, or
simply reboot.

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins