Re: [Hampshire] Google Earth and Gnome menus

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Google Earth and Gnome menus

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56950100.hantslug.org.uk.11699': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Jun 26 17:58:14 2010 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 06:34:09PM +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
> I quite like google earth but the version in lucid had ridiculously small
> fonts. The sages suggested upgrading to a new version was preferable to
> trying to fix the font sizes so I did precisely this. New version
> installed and works wonderfully.
>
> The problem is that I can't get at it from the gnome menu. To run it, I
> just do:
>
> ~/google-earth/googleearth &
>
> from a terminal and it's fine - good as gold. I've edited the gnome menu
> so that the original menu entry points to the new path and not the old but
> when I try and launch from the menu (or a desktop launcher) - no dice. No
> error message or anything - it just doesn't launch. I've tried "run in
> terminal", adding an & to the end of the command in case it was that.
>
> It must be something fundamental but I can't think what. As I say it runs
> fine from the terminal - even as me - not as sudo so I don't think it's a
> permissions thing.

Write a small shell script like this:

#!/bin/bash

set >/tmp/ge-vars.log
~/google-earth/googleearth >/tmp/ge-errors.log 2>&1

set it to executable, and change your desktop launcher/menu entry to
run that script instead. Then run it and see what the environment
looks like, and whether there are any errors reported.

Hugo.

       --- Never underestimate the bandwidth of a Volvo filled ---
                           with backup tapes.