[Hampshire] Google Earth and Gnome menus

Author: Rob Malpass
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
Subject: [Hampshire] Google Earth and Gnome menus
Hi all

It wasn't that long ago that I configured a parallel cluster on Linux but
now, I am ashamed to admit, I have a problem that must be so simple - it's
too simple.

FWIW I'm running a 64-bit kernel on Ubuntu lucid (upgraded from jaunty the
other day). It's running fine apart from one quirk.

I quite like google earth but the version in lucid had ridiculously small
fonts. The sages suggested upgrading to a new version was preferable to
trying to fix the font sizes so I did precisely this. New version
installed and works wonderfully.

The problem is that I can't get at it from the gnome menu. To run it, I
just do:

~/google-earth/googleearth &

from a terminal and it's fine - good as gold. I've edited the gnome menu
so that the original menu entry points to the new path and not the old but
when I try and launch from the menu (or a desktop launcher) - no dice. No
error message or anything - it just doesn't launch. I've tried "run in
terminal", adding an & to the end of the command in case it was that.

It must be something fundamental but I can't think what. As I say it runs
fine from the terminal - even as me - not as sudo so I don't think it's a
permissions thing.

Any ideas - it's driving me mad!

Cheers

Rob