Re: [Hampshire] [Surrey] Building Debian/Ubuntu packages

Author: Tim Retout
To: General Linux/Unix community List
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Surrey] Building Debian/Ubuntu packages
On 19 June 2010 22:36, Anton Piatek <anton@???> wrote:
> Well I plan to write more posts as I go, and will be writing about
> creating debian/rules with debhelper, however I think for a new
> packager cdbs allows you to get started incredibly quickly and makes
> very good gueses at most stuff.
> Off course you may reach a point where you want to get the full
> control of your build rules, but certainly when I was learning
> packaging it took me a long time to learn which dh_* helpers I needed
> and which ones I didn't

Of course, you can't cover it all in one blog post. The short-form dh
rules file was invented to make things easy as well:

#!/usr/bin/make -f
%:
    dh $@

(With a literal tab on the third line.) But it could be worse. You
could be using 'yada'. Check it out sometime. :)

I've been half thinking Debian needs to update its introductory
documents to cover the modern tools we want people to actually use.
Actually, someone's started already:
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ now covers the form above.

Are you going to cover the '3.0 (quilt)' source format? This avoids
having to add quilt (or worse, dpatch) to the rules file for patching
the upstream source.

Also, lintian. If you build with 'debuild', and set the options in
/etc/devscripts.conf, you can get a lintian report after every build.
I use DEBUILD_LINTIAN_OPTS="-iI --pedantic"

--
Tim Retout <diocles@???>