Re: [Hampshire] Building Debian/Ubuntu packages

Author: Tim Retout
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: General Linux/Unix community List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Building Debian/Ubuntu packages
On 19 June 2010 20:53, Anton Piatek <anton@???> wrote:
> Several people have asked me at various Hants/Surrey LUG events about
> building Debian/Ubuntu packages. I have just started the first of a
> series of blog posts about it, and thought I would post it here for
> those that are interested.
>
> http://www.strangeparty.com/2010/06/17/a-debian-packaging-howto/

Noooooooooooooo, not cdbs! ;)

Most developers prefer debhelper 7 these days, with the 'dh' tool,
because it is easier to customize for unusual situations. Some
packaging teams (like the Debian GNOME team, I think) still use cdbs
because they have specialized requirements. (This is almost certainly
the first comment you would receive on submitting such a package to
the debian-mentors list, apart being asked to clean up the rubbish
added by dh_make.)

But getting people to package things properly is good, so kudos for
encouraging that. Too often people create hacked-together binary
packages, and foist them on unsuspecting users.

Anyone interested in contributing to Debian can get hands-on help and
support via Debian's mentors scheme: http://mentors.debian.net/ -
Ubuntu will have a similar scheme.

--
Tim Retout <diocles@???>