Re: [Hampshire] disk cloning problem

Author: Cayenne-uk
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] disk cloning problem
On 16 June 2010 10:00, Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 06:24:18AM +0100, Cayenne-uk wrote:
>
> > ... I can no longer boot from the new drive, and ... Knoppix doesn't even
> see it when I
> > attach it via the USB caddy. Is there a way I can rescue it?
>
> Given what you've been doing, not being able to boot would
> generally indicate that you've damaged either the boot sector or
> moved/damaged some part of the boot system. Not being able to see it
> on the USB caddy sounds rather more fatal, though. Check that the
> drive is seated in the caddy properly first.
>
> If you can get the drive recognised again, you should simply be
> able to use dd_rescue again to get another clone, and start again.
>
> With respect to increasing partition sizes, you are likely to be
> able to increase the last partition on the disk very easily, but
> anything else will be rather harder to manage (because the other
> partitions will have to be moved further up the disk to make the
> room). You could consider making the larger partitions first, and then
> using dd_rescue to clone the individual partitions, rather than the
> whole disk.
>
> GNU PartEd is the tool to use for generalised partition-shuffling
> things, to be used from a rescue disk. There's also a tool I've found
> for Windows that can be used to resize NTFS filesystems into their
> partitions safely. I can't remember what it is off-hand, but I'll try
> to remember to look it up later.
>
>   HTH,
>    Hugo.

Thanks Hugo. Thanks for the help. I'm getting pretty sure that I have truely
broken this drive. As I mentioned, Knoppix doesn't see the drive at all when
it is attached in the caddy - but other drives are okay. So I'm sure the
caddy is okay. Oddly, ls /dev/sd* from the Ubuntu 10.4 live CD shows it as
sdb *and* sdc. Although I then cannot do anything with these (and dd_rescue
isn't on that CD - and I have been working without an internet connection).
At the weekend I may try installing Ubuntu 10.4 on an old HD and see what I
can do with dd_rescue.

Regards

Kelvin