Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Hardware problems with Dell Latitude C…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Hardware problems with Dell Latitude C840?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5802a100.hantslug.org.uk.1627': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Jun 8 17:06:04 2010 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 05:01:29PM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 June 2010 16:44:48 Hugo Mills wrote:
> > > The only drive acknowledged by the BIOS, and therefore the one from
> > > which it boots, is the 6GB one.  Puppy calls that one sda1.
> > >
> > > So: that is file system, video card, and I/O on one of the IDE drives.
> >
> >    All of this merely points to the fact that the large hard disk has
> > failed. Try replacing that.
>
> Thanks, Hugo! :-)
>
> I blanch slightly at telling Chihiro that. :-( The smaller hard drive (I
> remembered it as slightly larger than that, but that is the size the BIOS is
> telling me) only contains the system. The larger contains her encrypted
> journal and a fair amount of data. :-(

Repeat after me: Backups, backups, backups.

Mind you, most people only need one such experience before they get
the hint...

Hugo.

      --- In event of Last Trump,  please form an orderly queue ---
                          and await judgement.