Re: [Hampshire] Hmmm.....

Author: Owain Clarke
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hmmm.....

Lisi wrote:

On Friday 23 April 2010 16:32:46 Benjamin Ashton wrote:

Hmmm....

I'm afraid my love affair with Linux is beginning to wane.

After finding that the spellcheck in OpenOffice was failing to work
(despite Hunspell being apparently installed), and that the OoHelp was
giving me blank pages, I decided to install Abiword.  This looked promising
until I tried to Print or PrintPreview whereupon Abiword self-destucted
into nothingness.

I have both of these running without problems. Installation was easy. I did
not install Hunspell, tho' I appear to have libhunspell installed. I
installed the British English OOo packages and am running a British English
locale and environment.

I'm running Zenwalk 6.0

I have no experience of Zenwalk, beyond a brief look. It did not appeal, so I
went no further.

My wife's needs are to be able to run a basic wordprocessor, do emails and
internet.  These would, I would have thought, be pretty universal
requiremants.  The fact the Zenwalk can't seem to be able to do this is
worrying.

Is it now time to give up on Linux and 'ask Bill'?

Hmm... Zenwalk or Doze? Now which shall it be. I know! Lenny. In other
words, it is not a binary decision. Perhaps ask for people who are
successfully running what you want on low-spec hardware, and ask how they do
it, and which distros they use.

XP is surely no longer supported (?) and 7 would be way too resource hungry
for your wife's machine.

Lisi

Last time I lost my spell check in OpenOffice, I deleted the folder
.openoffice.  This means that next time you launch the program, it has
to initialise the whole thing again, including looking for the
spellcheck.  Worth a go?

I went through months of feeling infuriated with Linux.  I reckon the
best cure for it is to spend some time with Windows.  In the long run,
if you stick with Linux it will learn to behave itself perfectly.

Owain