Re: [Hampshire] Hmmm.....

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hmmm.....
On Friday 23 April 2010 16:32:46 Benjamin Ashton wrote:
> Hmmm....
>
> I'm afraid my love affair with Linux is beginning to wane.
>
> After finding that the spellcheck in OpenOffice was failing to work
> (despite Hunspell being apparently installed), and that the OoHelp was
> giving me blank pages, I decided to install Abiword.  This looked promising
> until I tried to Print or PrintPreview whereupon Abiword self-destucted
> into nothingness.

I have both of these running without problems. Installation was easy. I did
not install Hunspell, tho' I appear to have libhunspell installed. I
installed the British English OOo packages and am running a British English
locale and environment.

> I'm running Zenwalk 6.0

I have no experience of Zenwalk, beyond a brief look. It did not appeal, so I
went no further.

> My wife's needs are to be able to run a basic wordprocessor, do emails and
> internet.  These would, I would have thought, be pretty universal
> requiremants.  The fact the Zenwalk can't seem to be able to do this is
> worrying.
>
> Is it now time to give up on Linux and 'ask Bill'?

Hmm... Zenwalk or Doze? Now which shall it be. I know! Lenny. In other
words, it is not a binary decision. Perhaps ask for people who are
successfully running what you want on low-spec hardware, and ask how they do
it, and which distros they use.

XP is surely no longer supported (?) and 7 would be way too resource hungry
for your wife's machine.

Lisi