Re: [Hampshire] PV Panels

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: rogermunford, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] PV Panels
On 16 April 2010 12:06, Roger Munford <rogermunford@???> wrote:

> When I eventually get my PV panels, I want to do some serious domestic
> monitoring of energy in and out to see for myself whether this is a
> viable contribution to the climate problem. This would probably be based
> on something like the Sheeva plug or a using a Linksys router with Linux
> providing I can get some data into them. So any advice on current
> monitoring would be helpful.
>
> Roger

One of my neighbors is going to install PV panels soon, so I will find
out from them how they get on with them.

For monitoring, I was thinking of putting heat sensors in each room of
the house, and also outside.
I would then add sensors to find out when the heating was being
automatically switched on and off.
I should then be able to work out how efficiently my house was being heated.
I could also possibly identify problems in my house insulation and be
able to know for sure that I had improved it or not.
I would like to sensors all to link to my central Linux box that could
store all the data for me to later analyze.

This would improve over the:
1) Leaving the airing cupboard door open wastes energy guesstimate.