Re: [Hampshire] HantsLUG Wiki

Author: Daniel Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] HantsLUG Wiki
On 19/03/10 13:28, Imran Chaudhry wrote:
> If I can give some general feedback in that the HantsLUG "general
> meeting info" should be more obvious. eg. on the current site
> http://hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SeminarRoom1 has info about
> general meeting information like start and end times. That link was
> linked from the word "Southampton University" which is probably not
> ideal. I mention this because a new visitor to the meeting last
> Saturday could not find this info.

Agreed.

Didn't it used to say something like "The next Bring-a-box meeting will be on
<date> at <venue link>"? That's better than the strange list format it has
evolved into.

There's lots of tidying we could do. We don't have a lot of prose explaining
HantsLUG, which I see as a failing. The first two or three pages you visit will
all be just lists of links. It would come across better if we can explain and
guide users rather than just present an unordered pile of information. In any
case, this could be done after we upgrade - Moin allows renaming of pages, and
offers organisational tools, such as

http://hantslug-wiki.devel.mauveinternet.co.uk/OrphanedPages

so getting the wiki into shape would be easier after migrating.

It also occurred to me to add something similar to Wikipedia's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Out_of_date

to many of the LinuxHints pages to warn that they may well be outdated and
should be checked.

Dan