Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Smartphones with keyboards

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Smartphones with keyboards
On 03/16/2010 04:27 PM, Ian Park wrote:
> I'm looking around for a phone to replace my current model, a Sony
> Ericsson v630i. I'd like one with a "keyboard" a la Blackberry; it's
> also important for me that I can use it as a modem for my laptop&
> netbook (both of which run Ubuntu). There's no constraint about which
> operator it's tied to; in fact I want one that *isn't* tied to an
> operator (it would take a long time to explain...).
>
> Can anyone with experience of such a machine suggest which models would
> be worth researching further please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian

Not sure if I would 100% recommend it or not. But it's certainly cheap :).

Go for the LG InTouch Max. Runs Android 1.5 (which I think does
tethering, not sure). Has a very nice slide out keyboard and Android
apps for things like SSH, remote desktop etc.

It has a resistive screen which is not as nice as capacitative, but does
mean you can use a stylus which helps with fine control. It's processor
is also quite slow, depends if you can live with it. Has 3g, HSPDA etc.
connectivity. The keyboard is very nice and easy to use with decent size
keys, and has the advantage of a discrete number and "space bar" row,
unlike the very limited 3 rows of keys on the Nokia N900.

El'Reg has a review here:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/03/17/review_phone_lg_gw620/

T-mobile are doing some very good deals on the phone at the moment with
unlimited data thrown in. My wife has one and really likes it. I went
for the Samsung Portal because I wanted to upgrade to Android 2.1 (there
are no plans to upgrade the LG apparently) and I wanted the faster
processor and capacitative screen, but alas I lose out on the keyboard.