[Hampshire] not getting mail out of a server

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] not getting mail out of a server
Hello

Let me start by saying I am not an expert at setting up mail servers.
Butthat is what I find myself trying to do.

I am doing stuff with a pretty bare Ubuntu 9.04 server. It has exim4
running, and some web stuff (Joomla! CMS, PHP, mySQL)
I don't think I've done anything too odd with the exim setup, but it
does not seem to be sending mails .. or rather, I am not getting them
when I try it. But I am not getting them bounced either.

When I do a mail from the command line thus:
ubuntu@thisHost:~$ mail -s "hello again from ubuntu at the-domain on
thisHost" victorchurchill@???

or attempt to send a mail through the web CMS interface, I see lines
in /var/log/exim4/mainlog:

2010-03-11 15:16:57 1Npk89-0004JW-Q4 <= ubuntu@???
U=ubuntu P=local S=447
2010-03-11 15:16:59 1Npk89-0004JW-Q4 => me@??? R=dnslookup
T=remote_smtp H=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [209.85.211.83]
2010-03-11 15:16:59 1Npk89-0004JW-Q4 Completed
2010-03-11 15:17:55 1Npk95-0004PG-4w <= www-data@???
U=www-data P=local S=819 id=0c4d81be0f925085ea365866e2555d25@the-host
2010-03-11 15:17:56 1Npk95-0004PG-4w => me@??? R=dnslookup
T=remote_smtp H=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [209.85.211.83]
2010-03-11 15:17:56 1Npk95-0004PG-4w Completed

So it looks to me as if exim is sending the mail out without getting
any complaints back.But I am not familiar with exim log files.In a
sendmail log I would see an ID, like:
relay=easymx2.easily.co.uk. [62.128.158.225], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
(OK id=1NpkG6-0003W4-6w)
so I do not know if the exim one is complete despite what it says.

Sending manually to a different recipient not on GMail looked OK too
(in this case the user 'someone' has his somewhere.com mail hosted by
Google Apps)
2010-03-11 14:42:58 1NpjbG-000105-F6 <= ubuntu@???
U=ubuntu P=local S=600
2010-03-11 14:42:59 1NpjbG-000105-F6 => someone@???
R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp H=ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.com [209.85.211.25]
2010-03-11 14:42:59 1NpjbG-000105-F6 Completed

Previously I had run dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config ....

1. internet site; mail is sent and received directly using SMTP
2. the-domain.co.uk
3.
Please enter a semicolon-separated list of IP addresses. The Exim SMTP
listener daemon will listen on all IP addresses listed here.
An empty value will cause Exim to listen for connections on all
available network interfaces.
If this system only receives mail directly from local services (and
not from other hosts), it is suggested to prohibit external
connections to the local Exim daemon. Such services
include e-mail programs (MUAs) which talk to localhost only as well as
fetchmail. External connections are impossible when 127.0.0.1 is
entered here, as this will disable listening
on public network interfaces.
IP-addresses to listen on for incoming SMTP connections:
remove 127.0.0.1, leave blank
4.
Please enter a semicolon-separated list of recipient domains for which
this machine should consider itself the final destination.
leave blank
5.
Please enter a semicolon-separated list of recipient domains for which
this system will relay mail,
leave blank
6.
Please enter a semicolon-separated list of IP address ranges for which
this system will unconditionally relay mail, functioning as a
smarthost.
leave blank
Defaults for the rest.
..
2010-03-11 14:14:36 exim 4.69 daemon started: pid=25694, -q30m,
listening for SMTP on port 25 (IPv6 and IPv4)

and port 25 is open through the firewall.

I've also tried, from gmail, sending a mail to 'ubuntu@<the-host's
fixed IP address 999.999.999.999>; no effect (not received, not
bounced).

Obviously I have omitted something. But I do not seem to be getting
any indication of what that is. If I had a nice juicy error message I
could google for it!