Re: [Hampshire] old gits/old school: was Recurrent Hardware …

Author: Chris. Aubrey-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] old gits/old school: was Recurrent Hardware Problem
On 4 March 2010 18:24, Chris Dennis <cgdennis@???> wrote:

> Victor Churchill wrote:
> > First job at IBM had punch cards. Second one at EMI used paper tape
> > reader/writers mounted on the side of the teletypes as I recall.
> > Punch cards were better than paper tape for roaches ;-)
>
> Yes, but paper tape made better Christmas decorations.
>
> cheers
>
> Chris
> --
> Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???
> Fordingbridge, Hampshire, UK

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

A philosophical question: O.T. or not O.T?

I've been amusing myself recently with an old machine on which I've
installed Version 7 Unix, ported to the x386 architecture. (System III was
the latest thing when I started, but there was still a lot of Version 7
around.)

The question is, can this activity be considered an appropriate topic for
discussion in a LUG forum, given that it's a direct ancestor of Linux and
the code is now in the public domain?

Chris.