Re: [Hampshire] unable to connect from one system to another…

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] unable to connect from one system to another using ssh
john lewis wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 12:46:27 -0000
> "Martin A. Brooks" <martin@???> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, February 16, 2010 12:05 pm, john lewis wrote:
>>
>>> Which suggests the problem is only with ssh into benden, but am at a
>>> loss as to what the problem actually is.
>>>
>> Local firewall?
>>

> to return to this question, although I have done nothing to set up any
> firewall it looks like iptables _is_ running by default.
>
> iptables -S shows up lots of rules (too many to paste into this
> email) but cannot see anything that mentions port 22, but since I
> don't understand what the rules do I cannot be sure port 22 isn't
> blocked.

What you probably need is something like:

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT

where INPUT is the name where most of your rules are defined.

That will open the ssh port, which your telnet diagnostic seems to show
isn't connecting.

As for how you save that configuration, you will need a debian expert, I
run fedora.