Re: [Hampshire] unable to connect from one system to another…

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] unable to connect from one system to another using ssh
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 13:51:03 +0000
Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:

>    Out of interest, what do you get from running "sudo arp -n" on each
> machine? It's possible that there's something else on the network with
> the same IP address.

benden: ~#  arp -n
Address        HWtype  HWaddress         Flags Mask Iface
192.168.1.1 ether   00:13:46:8a:80:0c C          eth0

192.168.1.1 is the IP address for the ADSL Router

on landing I get similar but with an additional line for IP address
192.168.1.6

>    Also, what's the network topology between the two machines? Are
> they both on the same switch? Do you have more switches/hubs in
> between?

because the ADSL router doesn't have enough ports I have an additional
Netgear switch in linked into one port on the ADSL router.

benden is connected to the ADSL router and landing to the Netgear
switch.

I have swapped the cable to benden into the switch and now get the IP
address from arp -n as 192.168.1.5 rather than the 192.168.1.1 I got
before, so there was clearly a bit of a problem.

now I have to use "ssh user@landing" and supply the password (hit
enter) to login to landing rather than "ssh landing"

It still isn't working from landing though.

It is now lunchtime (we have sea bass on the menu) so will have to
leave things as they are for now. What I will do is plug my two linux
boxes and our printer into the ADSL router and the XP box, WAP and
the Compaq laptop into the switch. The Vaio and the EeePC can connect
via the WAP.

Maybe it is just as well the Dell is virtually dead as I am running
out of ports ;-(

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid