Re: [Hampshire] Packaging help needed

Author: Simon Huggins
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Packaging help needed
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:20:17PM -0000, Stephen Pelc wrote:
> <rant>
> Linux is getting more like Windows.

More users? Surely a good thing.

> A development box was upgraded from Kubuntu 9.04 to 9.10, and now our
> rpm packaging scripts are broken.

Oops. Next time, you might want to stage the upgrade, test your
packages still build and then do it on the live system.

Do you have some error messages though? It might just be trivial.

> Packaging under Linux is a complete shambles. We haven't
> had packaging issues for Windows software for over ten years.
> The idea that you have to ship separate packages for deb32,
> deb64, rpm32, rpm64 and a tarball is complete insanity. If we
> cannot get this sorted out to a reliable solution, we'll just go
> back to shipping tarballs and bunch of shell scripts.
> </rant>

That's quite a rant. And a threat to provide tarballs and a bunch of
shell scripts instead of packages.

Is your software proprietary? Is it niche?

People will happily package Free Software for free but are unlikely to
want to do your work for you if they don't use the software.

Nevertheless, techies like solving technical problems so if you provide
logs or hint at what's wrong (and what you tried to fix it) then someone
might point you down the right track.

> We need help. We provide some of the best and strongest coffee
> in Southampton. There's even a limited amount of payment
> available. Documentation is mandatory.

You could also try linuxjobs@??? if you don't get any joy
from this list.

--
 _        huggie@???      -+*+-     fou, con et anglais      _
(_) "Well, yes," said Nanny, and once again cut to the heart of  (_)