Re: [Hampshire] CAcert assurers at Saturdays meeting?

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] CAcert assurers at Saturdays meeting?
** Adrian Bridgett <adrian@???> [2010-01-13 09:12]:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 14:37:05 +0000 (+0000), Imran Chaudhry wrote:
> > Will there be any CA cert assurers at Saturdays meeting?
> >
> > At the last meeting, Tony and Ciemon assured me (I think I gave
> > details to Hugo who has yet to assure me). I need another 15 points
> > before I can create 2-year certs. Eventually I'd like to become an
> > assurer myself.
>
> Yep, I'm one. I have to say though, I've lost all faith in CAcert's
> ability to execute. Getting a cert from trustico is cheap, from
> star-ssl (IIRC) they are free (and in browsers unlike self-signed
> ones). So a major reason for me (avoiding paying astronomical fees to
> Verislime) has gone.

** end quote [Adrian Bridgett]

I've been quite happy with StartSSL, and have had good experience from their
support who I've chatted to using Pidgin / Empathy. I also use CAcert, but
that's only form my internal certificates where I need a sub-domain (which
isn't free with StartSSL). As a side issue, StartSSL now do DNS services free
as well (currently in beta though). I'm currently split between between where
my domains are registered and EveryDNS (who have just been acquired by Dyn Inc,
so will likely be merged with DynDNS in due course, so no idea where the free
service will stand in the long term so may well move!). My current set up was a
bit of a rushed decision after having to move in a big hurry from my old
hosting provider who also proviced DNS hosting.

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: