Re: [Hampshire] Getting Dell AIO 922 printer going in CUPSwi…

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Getting Dell AIO 922 printer going in CUPSwithLexmark z55 driver
On Friday 20 November 2009 16:54:16 Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi Lisi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 03:02:12PM +0000, Lisi wrote:
> > But she unfortunately has a Dell AIO 922 printer. Although this printer
> > is said to make a good doorstop, research suggests that it will print,
> > but only print, with the Lexmark z55 or z600 drivers. Since she only
> > uses it for photocopying and printing and the former doesn't require a
> > computer, this would be fine.
>
> I don't know anything about printers so don't really know what to
> suggest, but
>

> http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Dell-AIO_Printer_A922
>
> does suggest that it should indeed print with the Lexmark z600
> driver under CUPS in Debian so can't be quite as much of a doorstop
> as feared..

Thanks, Andy for the encouragement.

I had wrongly "installed" the two drivers, hence getting nowhere fast.

I have now got ppds for both installed in the correct place and CUPS has
allowed me to install both. (Not simultaneously - I uninstall the printer
before trying again with the other ppd.)

Total failure. Z600 did nothing and knew that it did nothing - the job
remained <pending>. Z55 printed - but a nasty splodge.

In order to get my own life back on some sort of track, I myself bought a
second hand Brother MFC-3240C, which got "mostly" on the printing database.
It installed otb. CUPS said "oh - I see you have a Brother mFC-3240C. Would
you like me to install it for you?" I said yes and that was it.

But I can't make the machine itself work. :-( And CUPS thinks taht the
printer is printing - it says taht the job is completed.

I haven't got time to do a full XP installation more or less immediately -
tho' I now happily would. I simply can't get that AIO of hers working with
Linux - and now the one that works in Linux, can't work full stop - or at
least, I can't work it.

For the first time since I started using it myself, I actually think that
Linux for anyone else who cannot themselves install/maintain it, is a bad
mistake. :-(

Lisi