[Hampshire] Hard disks and LVM

Author: Leo
To: Hampshire LUG
Subject: [Hampshire] Hard disks and LVM
A quick first question. I currently have two disks containing the
partitions: /, /boot, /home and swap. I'd like to replace them with one
new one. If I were to create four partitions on the new disk (not
necessarily the same sizes as the old ones), copy the data across from
the old disks, and tell the BIOS to boot from the new /boot partition,
would Ubuntu be happy?

Second question: I currently use LVM for some data that I don't mind too
much if I lose and that is too much to backup. However I seem to be
collecting a lot of disks and am thinking of using LVM more, to make
managing them easier. What I was wondering is: is it possible to get LVM
to not split individual files across physical volumes. I'm thinking
(incorrectly?) that this would make recovery easier if I lost a disk.

Thanks,
Leo