Re: [Hampshire] Hard disks and LVM

Author: Leo
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hard disks and LVM
Keith Edmunds wrote:

> You'd need to write the boot sector too, probably using Grub, but
> otherwise yes, it should be happy.

Just to clarify, that's *not* copy the boot sector, but actually create
it using GRUB? So using something like:
grub> root (partition where new / is)
grub> setup (disk with /boot on)

Hmmm, this might be a good thing to test in a virtual machine first
methinks!

> Incorrectly, yes. If you only want the files to go on one disk, don't
> extend the logical volume over more than one (yes pedants, I do realise it
> isn't as simple as that). Better still, don't use LVM at all...

So I need a better backup strategy :) As another option, if I used a
RAID 1 device (e.g. md0) as a physical volume for LVM, and one of the
disks in md0 went down, would LVM carry on regardless while I replace
the disk?

Leo