Re: [Hampshire] IBM Hursley

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] IBM Hursley

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Hants LUG Chairman wrote:

> It has long been an idea of mine to hold a multi-LUG meeting, a sort of
> miniature conference with our neighbouring LUGs. It is possible that IBM
> Hursley may be willing to hold such an event. I've emailed some local
> LUGs and asked if they would be interested and the response has been
> positive, some people would be prepared to travel from far and wide if
> we were to organise such event.

I think the key thing for that would be setting a date early and making
sure it was publicised far and wide.

> My hope is that we could have a home/office/application talk stream and
> a more technical stream. The home/office talk would include more
> application and user type talks and the technical talk stream would be
> more guts if the technology style - giving a wide coverage.

Certainly sounds like a plan to me, though getting enough talks lined up
for two tracks to run all day would probably require some drum beating and
perhaps a little press-ganging...

> There is plenty of space at Hursley so we can have room dedicated to
> installing the latest distro of your choice.

I'd definitely be in favour of having some space with tables and chairs
set aside for working on PCs rather than just the comfy chairs in the
lobby area as we had last time.

> Is this something that we want to do?

Dates and schedules permitting I'd certainly be interested yes.

> PS If anyone has a decent list of LUG chair emails that would be nice too, I
> only have contacts for a few.

lug.org.uk provides a list of LUGS with contact information, specifically
for the South East try:

http://lug.org.uk/lugs/south-east

Though I don't know how up to date it is. As an alternative you might want
to consider posting to the LUG Masters mailing list, they could do with a
new flame-war (we haven't had one there for a while:)

Andy