Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...
On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 22:24:14 +0100
Stuart Sears <stuart@???> wrote:

> ** this would be the sources.list file that totally confused me when I
> first got to it? Never mind all the apt pinning stuff... :)

the sources list is essential to ensure only packages for the Debian
version (stable, testing, unstable) you are running are included in
updates. Plus you can add unofficial repositories like the multimedia
or opera ones.

Unless you are trying to run a mixed (ie some testing some unstable
packages) system then pinning is something most people won't need to
know about, but it is well covered in the Apt docs.

my sources.list is as follows:-

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux LennyBeta2 _Lenny_ - Official Beta amd64
NETINST Binary-1 20080608-11:10]/ lenny main

deb http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
# deb-src http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/debian/ lenny main

# Marillat Apps
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ sid main

# Opera
deb http://deb.opera.com/opera sid non-free

line one is there because I installed from a lenny netinst CD and it
was commented out by the installer once the next line was setup during
installation so the bulk of packages could be pulled down over the net

I chose to use the mirror.ox.ac.uk during installation (I could
have chosen from several other UK mirrors). I added the 'contrib'
and 'non-free' manually as they are not there in a default installation
because I want packages that would not other wise be available.

I manually commented out the 'deb-src' line as I don't need to
install any source packages

The next two lines I added to allow me to install adobe reader from the
multimedia repo and Opera from the Opera repo. Using these two repos do
require you install the relevant gpg keys for those sites to avoid
getting nagged about using potentially unsafe packages

So the sources.list is really quite simple

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid