Re: [Hampshire] Is my program detached?

Author: Stephen Pelc
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is my program detached?
Vic said

> > I need to determine if my Linux program is running detached,
> > e.g. if it was launched by
> > vfxlin
> > or
> > vfxlin &
>
> VFX isn't too keen on not having a console...
>
> What I did was to run it through screen :-

Thank you for answering a question I didn't ask! The current
version of vfxlin has changed! The question is how do I
determine if a program is running in a terminal session or is
detached in some way, e.g. by using & at the end of the command
line? I need need to make this distinction in order to choose
between I/O to the term/xterm device or launch a GUI console.

Under Kubuntu 9.04 at least, trying to open /dev/tty succeeds in
both cases and fds 0,1,2 return true from isatty(). Similarly,
ttyname() returns a name.

Stephen
--
Stephen Pelc, stephen@???
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691