Re: [Hampshire] Samba vs. Dovecot (and some amusement)

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samba vs. Dovecot (and some amusement)
Keith Edmunds wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:49:20 +0100, cgdennis@??? said:
>
>> The files in question are in Dovecot mailboxes, for example:
>>
>>    1252862884.M951095P21185Q0Rcb072ad8b6eca9fc.server:2,S

>> When that filename is displayed either in smbclient, or in Nautilus, or
>> in Windows XP, it shows up as....
>
> A couple of points. Firstly, although that mailbox may be served by
> Dovecot, the file will have been put there by your SMTP server (or, more
> accurately, your Mail Delivery Agent (MDA), which is often, but not
> always, the same thing). My possibly pedantic point point is that this
> probably has nothing to do with Dovecot.

You're right of course.

> May I ask why you want to access what looks like a Maildir mail file
> directly from Windows (or is this a question of curiosity)? Normally one
> would only access such files via an MDA or POP/IMAP server.

For accessing backup copies of the mail directory -- just to be able to
copy them to the local PC for data recovery purposes.

> Finally, whilst I don't have succinct answer to your problem, remember
> that a colon is an illegal character in a Windows filename, so Samba has
> to munge it in some way.

Yes, but it should munge it into something useful, such as %3A, that can
be munged back again later (like netatalk does with Mac file names).

It's not absolutely essential -- I just wanted to be able to demonstrate
to the client that their emails are being backed up (to an external hard
drive using rsnapshot) along with all their other files.

cheers

Chris
--
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???