Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Global Jam - Birmingham

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Global Jam - Birmingham
** Andy Random <andy.random@???> [2009-09-22 22:38]:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Paul Tansom wrote:
> > Mind you, LUG meets are tough enough. I was going to make the last one, but at
> > just as I was getting ready to leave noticed the need to register and the
> > limited time with anybody on the door, so decided to to risk a journey. I
> > should have checked before, but confirmation of being able to attend was very
> > last minute (as it often is unfortunately).
>
> Many venues for LUG meetings now require "registration" before attendance
> I'm afraid. However since there isn't a charge for LUG meetings (aside
> from any well appreciated donation to LUG funds) and usually space isn't
> an issue there is nothing to stop you registering for attendance in the
> hope you can make it and simply not showing if something comes up at the
> last minute.
>
> I've done that myself in the past, and I'd recommend it over waiting until
> the last minute when you know you can make it to try and register.

** end quote [Andy Random]

I wasn't actually worried about the use of registration, it was more of an
anecdote related to my success in actually attending even local meets! I do
register for events and not attend when I'm keen to go (assuming I've noticed
the requirement in the first place! [1]). I tend not to either if there are
limited spaces and I'm not entirely sure whether I'll make it (so I don't stop
somebody else from attending), or if there's money involved (I have to be sure
I'm going then!!).

[1] I've still not got the hang of 2009, I'm beginning to look on the rest of
it as preparation and practise for a better 2010. It started badly, got worse
and will be the year we can't forget but don't enjoy remembering.

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: