Re: [Hampshire] bashrc in source control, but which one?

Author: Stephen Nelson-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] bashrc in source control, but which one?
On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Anton Piatek <anton@???> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have been constantly updating my bashrc on lots of machines by hand,
> and have got fed up with it so am thinking about putting it in source
> control.
>
> Can anyone recommend a source control program that would suit this
> specifically. I will probably keep a few more files, like vimrc, in
> there too, but only want a few files from my homedir in source
> control, so dont want something that will complain about the rest of
> my homedir not being checked in.

Have a look at Dropbox - http://getdropbox.com

This allows you to share some files with any number of machines,
backed by storage in the cloud too. By default it creates a Dropbox
folder, I think under your home directory, but you could then have
your various .rc files symlinked from the Dropbox store.

S.
--
Stephen Nelson-Smith
Technical Director