Re: [Hampshire] bashrc in source control, but which one?

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] bashrc in source control, but which one?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x571c2100.hantslug.org.uk.23264': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Sep 19 22:20:12 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Anton,

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 08:58:47PM +0100, Anton Piatek wrote:
> I have been constantly updating my bashrc on lots of machines by hand,
> and have got fed up with it so am thinking about putting it in source
> control.
>
> Can anyone recommend a source control program that would suit this
> specifically. I will probably keep a few more files, like vimrc, in
> there too, but only want a few files from my homedir in source
> control, so dont want something that will complain about the rest of
> my homedir not being checked in.
>
> svn comes to mind, as I prefer it over cvs, but I have little
> experience with git or bzr so wanted opinions as to whether they might
> be more suitable.

I was in a similar position w.r.t. SCM software experience and the
desire to have some of home under SCM control. A while ago I
decided to just do it with svn as it's a start and can be easily
migrated to one of the others should the need ever arise.

No real problems encountered.

Cheers,
Andy

"What should one say after making love? ``Thank you'' seems too much.
``I'm sorry'' - somehow not enough." -- The League Against Tedium