Re: [Hampshire] Tag editors

Author: Leo
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Tag editors
Stuart Sears wrote:
> On 07/09/09 19:05, Leo wrote:
>> Unfortunately I've tried both exfalso and easytag and neither of them is
>> really good enough for me.
>
> What do you need/want a tag editor to do that they don't?
> Are you comparing these to an editor you've used in the past?
>
> How about picard?
>

> Stuart

Basically, I've found that each one offers some of the functionality I
want, but not all of it, so I end up using about 3, and the command
line. E.g.:
exfalso: - cddb lookup isn't great. it doesn't seem as successful at
finding CDs as other tag editors.
    - it doesn't cope well if another program updates the tags in a file,
it just seems to ignore them
    - it has a habit of asking if I'm sure I want to make changes for
*every* song I update.

easytag: - I can't find out how to get it to work with multiple artists
and genres.
    - I don't think it works with custom tags.

Also neither of them work brilliantly when I have an album in two
formats in a directory.

(If I'm wrong about any of that, then please let me know.)
Don't think I've tried picard, so I'll give that a go.

My ideal tag editor (and music player) would be foobar (for windows).
It's about the one bit of software I haven't found a similar replacement
for in Linux (in my opinion). Although gmusicbrowser comes close.

Leo