[Hampshire] Genealogy

Author: Daniel Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Genealogy
My mother is interested in putting together a family tree. In fact, she
bought a cheap copy of "Family Historian", which is a Windows program,
and entered some data. Happily this is stored in GEDCOM files which I
understand is the most portable way to store it.

I've set her up with GRAMPS which seems fairly comprehensive but not as
user-friendly as what she was using[1]. On the other hand, she didn't
understand she was just entering records into a relational database,
which lead to some craziness (like saving the different sides of our
family into different files).

I was just wondering what is the state of the art in genealogy under
Linux? How do I get her started? Are there online resources I can point
her to?

As an aside, my mother complains a lot about Linux even when it does
/exactly/ the same thing as equivalent Windows software. Linux is
treating her extremely well, on the whole - it's fast, stable and
secure, not to mention the availability of free, high quality software -
but it has become a scapegoat for all the problems she has simply using
computers.

Dan

[1] "This isn't the same software that I had. This is useless to me. I
want my Family Historian back."