Re: [Hampshire] Backup problem

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] Backup problem (after delay due to router failure)
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Backup problem

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57e8b100.hantslug.org.uk.24234': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Aug 29 11:57:30 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 11:10:14PM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> I am getting the following error when I try to copy my husband's home to
> backup.
>
> [root@Dozy peter]# mount /dev/hda2 /backup && \cp -Rpu /home/. /backup
> cp: reading
> `/home/./peter/.thunderbird/8qfkppsa.default/Mail/mailhost.zen.co.uk/Inbox':
> Input/output error
>
> Googling has got me nowhere. Probably because I am asking the wrong question.
> Can any kind soul point me in the right direction? And please, if the answer
> is RTFM, tell me which FM??
>
> Here* below are the results of some poking around that I did. They got me
> nowhere, but might tell someone better informed than I what is going on. I
> had previously successfully been backing up everything.

> *
> [root@Dozy peter]# cd home/
> bash: cd: home/: No such file or directory
> [root@Dozy peter]# cd ..
> [root@Dozy home]# cd..
> [root@Dozy /]# cd home/
> [root@Dozy home]# ./peter/
> bash: ./peter/: is a directory
> [root@Dozy home]# cd peter
> [root@Dozy peter]# cd .thunderbird
> [root@Dozy .thunderbird]# ls
> 8qfkppsa.default/  8qfkppsa.default.old/  appreg  profiles.ini
> [root@Dozy .thunderbird]# cd 8
> 8qfkppsa.default/     8qfkppsa.default.old/
> [root@Dozy .thunderbird]# cd 8qfkppsa.default
> [root@Dozy 8qfkppsa.default]# cd Mail
> [root@Dozy Mail]# ls
> Local Folders/  mailhost.zen.co.uk/  pop.gmail.com/
> [root@Dozy Mail]# cd mailhost.zen.co.uk/
> [root@Dozy mailhost.zen.co.uk]# ls
> Drafts*          Inbox       Junk.msf            Sent.msf*
> Templates.sbd/
> Drafts.msf*      Inbox.msf*  msgFilterRules.dat  Sent.sbd/       Trash
> Drafts.sbd/      Inbox.sbd/  popstate.dat*       Templates*      Trash.msf
> filterlog.html*  Junk        Sent*               Templates.msf*
> [root@Dozy mailhost.zen.co.uk]#

So close... :) You go all that way, and then don't do the very last
step: try copying the Inbox file to /tmp, say. Do you get the same I/O
error? If so, how far does this get before you hit the same error?

$ dd if=Inbox of=/tmp/Inbox bs=512

An I/O error would usually say to me that there's some problem with
the media. I would also expect the problem to be logged in the main
syslog (/var/log/syslog on Debian-like machines, /var/log/messages on
Red-Hat-like machines) -- look for error blocks like the one near the
top of [1].

Hugo.

[1] http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Libata_error_messages

         --- Why play all the notes, when you need only play ---
                           the most beautiful?