Re: [Hampshire] Deploying a Rails application

Author: Stephen Nelson-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Deploying a Rails application
Hi Chris,

> I have a VPS I'd like to deploy it on running Debian Etch, which already
> has Apache2 installed and serving other static pages.

If you want to keep your Apache2, I'd recommend using ModProxy and
Mongrel. For scaling purposes, it's normal to use several Mongrel
instances, but to make that work, you need ModProxyBalancer, which
comes with Apache 2.2.

A common way to install Rails and Mongrel is via RubyGems, but I'd
have thought the version of RubyGems available on Etch might be a bit
old. Perhaps there's a decent backport.

Let me know if you need more detail or explanation.

Best,

S.
--
Stephen Nelson-Smith