[Hampshire] Partitions

Author: Chris. Aubrey-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Partitions
Hi, All!

When partitioning a disc to install Linux, I tend to follow the advice of
the 'expert' so far as practicable and let the installer have its way. This
policy has now led me into an awkward position.

I installed Debian 'Lenny' on a machine with a 160Gb disc, taking the option
to install to separate partitions. All seemed to be well for a while, until
I started to get the message on booting up: '100% of the space in the root
partition is in use' . It happened again yesterday when I was trying to
install a package, so I investigated and found that the root partition is
*tiny*. It's reported by gparted as 337Mb, with 327Mb marked as used.
Clearly inadequate, but why would this size be suggested?

As gparted seems not to want to allow me to shrink/move anything, do I have
any option but to back everything up and start again?

Chris.